Gorsad is an art collective located in Ukraine. We've worked together a few times on some shoots and they shot our SS20 look book. We sat down with them for a short interview on what makes them unique.
- How did you collectively form Gorsad and how did you come up with the name?
Literally translated GORSAD means "urban garden". In Odessa, there is a place called City Garden. We associate with this place because of a very funny and a really symbolic story. We don’t wanna tell it, because we are afraid of karma! We're actually old friends and we’ve known each other about 10 years. We studied together and at some point, just for fun, we decided to do something together, and in fact that's how it all started in 2011.
- What is life like in Kiev right now with the Corona pandemic? How has it effected your lives?
In Kiev, the situation is quite complicated, but compared to other large European cities there are much fewer people who get the virus, almost the entire city is paralyzed. We, like everyone, try to stay home, it reminds us of a house arrest, we hope that this will not take long and the virus will Be Stopped
- I love your style and that your work is edgy in a playful/unique way. Any particular reason why you generally shoot kids and adolescents as your subjects?
We are interested in working with adolescents because they have sincerity and there is no falsehood and pretense, and their consciousness is not clogged with social rules and norms. they live for their pleasure and we are very impressed by this.
- Who -or- what are your your biggest influences/inspirations?
We are inspired by those who, like us, work with the theme of adolescents, it was always interesting to watch the work of Larry Clark, Harmony Korine, Ed Tempelton, Ari Marcopoulos and others.
- Is there anything about Gorsad that people would be surprised -or- shocked by knowing?
Of course, but while we prefer to keep it in secret, everything has its time.
- Do you have any upcoming projects that you would like to discuss?
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans. Actually we are working on a new project and it will be something very interesting but so far we did not want to talk about it halfway.